About Me

My photo
Life should be lived as play according to the phiolsopher Plato and me? I happen to agree. I am a very social person, I almost don't know how to communicate without flirting with people. I enjoy kicking back and spending a night in, but I'm also known for heading out for a night on the town, or just a midnight jaunt to the jungle gym. I believe that life is too short to be angry all the time, but you might often hear me complaining about some life stress. I think I just like to get things off my chest so I can move forward. Sometimes I write really dreary things because its easier and safer to be sad at the helm of my laptop, truly I am a happy person. I aim to be the life of the party, if I can get the crowd laughing and having a good time, then my work is done. It is my hope that my writing means something. I write because it makes me feel better, but at the end of the day if sharing one of my experiences can help someone else not feel so alone or help them learn from my mistakes, then I've created something worth while.

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

And its a....


I’ve had a few people ask me when I was going to post a blog about my little bundle of joy.  Originally I had intended to retell all the events that took place the day I found out I was expecting, but instead I think I’m going to talk about the most surprisingly controversial decision I’ve made about my little babe.  That is to say, my decision to not find out the gender of my baby.


I don’t know where or when this desire came about.  In some way I feel like I have "Father of the Bride: Part 2" to thank for this.  I’m uncertain but there just seems to be something so romantic and magical about that moment, after nine long months of wonder, when your tiny little miracle has breathed his/her first breath into their lungs and wailed out a healthy cry, and the doctor exclaims, “Its a… !”  That moment just seems so powerful because no matter what gender either parent was hoping for, it washes away when they meet this sweet little face for the very first time.


I think the brand new daddy gets one of the most special moments, as he gets to tell all the family members anxiously waiting in a near by room, what he is the proud father of. He gets to see all their delighted reactions, smiles, tears, and lots of hugs.


I find all these moments to be so endearing that I am more than happy to wait around and experience them myself.  Even with this explanation in tote I have met with a lot of discord amongst my peers.  Some telling me I’m “brave” or “crazy” for deciding against finding out.


Tycen, my beloved daddy to be, his initial reaction was similar to that of everyone else.  If he was having himself a boy he needed to know and he needed to know right now!  He’s come around to my vantage point, that and I think he likes upsetting and confusing people.   My sweetheart sure does love stirring the pot.


The biggest concern my friends and family alike have had with this little decision always comes in the form of this question, “But what am I going to get for you?”  This concern seems so inconsequential and outright silly.  My mom said when she was pregnant with my older brother, she didn’t know what she was having, back then people rarely knew with certainty what they were having and they seemed to manage just fine.


The fact is that even if I knew I was having a boy, I wouldn’t dress him in blue every single day, inversely if I was having a girl, I wouldn’t dress her in pink every single day.  In all honesty I’m not a big girly-girl myself, should my little bundle be a little girl I don’t fancy that I’ll be adorning her in pink tu-tus, giant bows, and glitter.  As far as a babies needs go, I don’t need to be shoving gender rolls down his or her throat in the form of pink skirts of blue pants, we’ve got a life time to do that.


I guess a simple answer for any individuals wondering what on earth you get for a baby you don’t know the gender of… how about whatever is on my registry?  I mean, that should make it pretty fool proof.  Tycen and I are definitely going to need more diapers than anything, we’ll also need onsies, blankies, a crib, bottles and all that other good stuff. Should anyone feel so inclined to break the mold and get me something not on the registry, some sort of apparal, then I say keep it gender neutral.  Lots of whites, greys, blacks, navys, greens, browns, and yellows are highly recommended.


I’m already at the halfway mark and I am unimaginably excited (and terrified) to meet this little babe that’s already wiggling around in my tummy.  As a new mom to be I am accepting all kinds of advice and helpful tips, but on this one matter I will kindly decline, in January when we meet our little human is when everyone will know the answer, “is it a boy or a girl?”

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to hear about when you knew for sure you were pregnant but also, I'd like to hear how your workouts have changed, or not changed, and hello, a blog needs photos!

    ReplyDelete