About Me

My photo
Life should be lived as play according to the phiolsopher Plato and me? I happen to agree. I am a very social person, I almost don't know how to communicate without flirting with people. I enjoy kicking back and spending a night in, but I'm also known for heading out for a night on the town, or just a midnight jaunt to the jungle gym. I believe that life is too short to be angry all the time, but you might often hear me complaining about some life stress. I think I just like to get things off my chest so I can move forward. Sometimes I write really dreary things because its easier and safer to be sad at the helm of my laptop, truly I am a happy person. I aim to be the life of the party, if I can get the crowd laughing and having a good time, then my work is done. It is my hope that my writing means something. I write because it makes me feel better, but at the end of the day if sharing one of my experiences can help someone else not feel so alone or help them learn from my mistakes, then I've created something worth while.

Monday, January 14, 2013

2013: I Can

So this is one of those blogs where I don’t feel like writing something pretty. Today I just feel like I need to write something, get some thoughts out on paper (or a big white screen that looks like paper). So if you’re reading this, don’t anticipate anything mind blowing. Today is just me.

Today is January 13th. I’ve been mulling over what my new years resolution would be for weeks now. You’d think by the first of the month I would have come up with something but it just seemed like there were so many something’s that needed some resolute in my life that I couldn’t quite hunker down on one.

For starters I have been saying for years that I wanted to compete in a body building competition and yet, haven’t quite gotten there. I also quit my job right before the holidays, so that’s kind of a big deal that needs fixing. Then there is my poor… very VERY poor relationship status. Yes yes, lots of things in my life need change… but then I realized something today. Perhaps it is not these circumstances in my life or these pieces of my life that need to change, but maybe it is me. Maybe I need to just make one change deep within myself.

I want 2013 to be the year of “I Can”. I’ve had this sensation lately that I am a severe under-achiever. Its not that great of a feeling in case anyone was wondering. I have had a few different individuals praise me lately, raving about my abundant talents and gifts. I know the intent was to uplift me and make me feel good about myself, but a reverse effect followed. I began to feel like I have been underutilizing these faculties that have been given to me. I get by on what I have… but have I really lived up to my full potential? Have I really left a mark on anyone? This loathsome feeling could be contributed to the fact I have been hold up in my room for a few weeks doing nothing but watching cartoons all day, but either way, I have little to show for my 26 years here on earth.

I live at home with my parents. I am not financially stable enough to live on my own. I don’t see me getting out of debt anytime soon. I’m not married, I’ve never even had anyone ask me to marry them. I’m not even in a relationship. I’ve never been out of the country. Yearly I travel down to Lake Powell, but that’s about it. The only noteworthy thing I have done in all these 26 years is I did get a bachelor’s degree, that was kinda cool… but then I remember that the bachelor’s degree is the new high school diploma and suddenly that one thing I did do no longer seems as cool, especially since I’ve yet to land a job with this degree of mine. I just got my old job back, waiting tables. The worst of it is all of these things in mind and I’m still pretty content… and that I find to be most alarming.

I have been working really hard to be grateful for my life over the past few months because I know that an attitude of gratitude is a means to finding happiness. It is the ability to find a silver lining that has gotten me through some recent hard times… but I feel like I have just been awakened. While I have done a good job of staying positive I feel as though I have truly missed the mark. I have simply rolled over and accepted my life as it is, albeit I am thankful for it, I don’t know that contentment in mediocrity is the best way of showing my gratitude.

Which is why this year I am going to stop saying “I can’t.” I am doing myself a disservice. I am doing my loved ones a disservice. I am doing mankind a disservice. Above all I am doing my gracious Father in Heaven a disservice. There is potential for me to be so much and make so much more of all the things that I have. I don’t have everything worked out, in fact, I don’t know that I have a specific game plan for how I’m going to go about reaching my potential. All I know is that big changes are coming and I’m going to get things done this year simply because… I can.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Noelle. I needed this today. You are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Shannon! I'm not the most avid blogger, but every once in a while its nice to know that when I write something, that out there somewhere someone is reading it and enjoying it. So thank you

    ReplyDelete